Your child has taken the significant step from infants to primary school and into the first year of learning Stage 2.
This is the first year your child sits for the National Assessment Program Literacy and Numeracy (NAPLAN) test held in May. There are four tests covering numeracy, reading, writing, spelling, punctuation and grammar.
You will receive a report of your child’s achievement in the tests. The results tell you how your child is progressing in these areas and can guide the learning support you give your child at home.
Help your child learn
Year 3 students have made the transition from infants to primary. It’s still important to keep supporting your child’s learning.
Here are useful links with tips on how you can help your Year 3 child at home.
Information in English and community languages, visit Parents guide to the NSW Primary Syllabuses (PDF 1.3MB)
- Five ways to build your child’s literacy skills (PDF 1400KB) (includes translated information)
- Writing Stage 2
- Reading Stage 2
- Spelling Stage 2
- Talking and listening Stage 2
- Literacy and numeracy tips (includes translated information)
- Five ways to build your child’s numeracy skills (PDF 709KB)
- Parents count too (includes translated information)